Day 19 - Cultural Heritage Museum, Milkshakes, and Leaving Tanzania

As we write this final entry, we are roughly an hour away from the airport. Today has been filled with lots of driving and a visit to a cultural heritage museum. The walls are filled with vibrant colors, black and white pieces a rarity. Tanzanian views and animals populate most of the portraits, although there are some sprinkles of abstract and modern art within the six floors. A personal favorite was one of a lion and lioness with a small card comparing the lioness’s eyes to that of Mona Lisa’s: They will follow you across the room. I was doubtful at first, but after a few paces back and forth I was convinced. It was unnerving feeling like one of the animals the king of the jungle is imagining eating for lunch. The centerpieces of the rooms are impressive carvings, with massive lions, giraffes, buffalo, and more animals that I just cannot comprehend were made by hand. After exploring the many stories of the art gallery and getting last souvenirs, some of us enjoyed milkshakes and sweets with Tim before we said goodbye. Looking out the windows on our final drive has me lost in the colors, many of the pamphlets and letterings on buildings are faded, but that only enhances the intensity of the natural hues. I think I speak for everyone when I say that this trip has been incredible. I’ve learned so much about Tanzania and myself, and return home incredibly grateful I was able to participate in this journey. T-minus 30 hours until we’re home - we can’t wait to see all of you!

- Ari and Audrey










Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 - First Full Day in Tanzania - Mt. Kilimanjaro, Tanzanian Womanhood, and New Food (By Ari and Raul)

Day 3 - Arusha: The Ngarenaro School, Natural History Museum, and Cultural Heritage Center

Day 1 - Arrived safely at Kilimanjaro Airport!